How To Prevent Termites From Destroying Your Home
Termites are the silent destroyers, because they can easily destroy your home without showing early signs of damage. They feed on dead plants and dead parts of living trees, especially wood in the soil. Termites can easily feed on the foundations of your house; wooden floors, wooden furniture, shelves and they can even feed on books.
That is why it is important for you to learn how to prevent termites from destroying your home.
1: Be Vigilant and Aware
It is very hard to know termite infestations. Be always on the lookout for signs of potential termite damage. The common signs of these include;
- Mud tunnels or mud spotting,
- Rippling paints in skirting boards, walls, windows and door frames.
You might not notice these signs, but this doesnt mean that there are no termites. There are different conditions that might invite them. If you have any doubts, you should always consult a professional exterminator.
2: Get a Professional
To ensure that your home is truly safe and free from termites and the damages that they might cause, you should hire a professional exterminator. Exterminators have been highly trained and they know more about termite biology and behavior. These professionals can easily identify, prevent and treat termite infestations. Professional exterminators will perform a thorough inspection of your home to know how the termites are getting in. They will provide solutions that help prevent further damage.
If the termite inspections are done and it reveals that there are termites in your home, you should hire a pest exterminator to get rid of them. The exterminator will then takes preventative action to make sure that your home is free from them.
4: Follow Up
Do not assume that your home will always be free from termites. It is important to get regular check-ups. This is the best way for making sure that your house is always free from termites.
The following are the best things that can help you prevent termites from damaging your house:
- Do not affix fencing, landscaping or trellises to exterior walls.
- Keep firewood, wood debris and mulch away from the house.
- Trim dense vegetation such as bushes and tall trees, which are close to your house.
- Remove stumps and dead trees in your yard.
- Repair water lines and leaking taps, and make sure that the watering systems are not close to the foundations of your home.
- Fix downpipes, gutters and leaky roofs and never allow leaves to accumulate in the drains or gutter.
- Direct the hot water system and air conditioning condensate away from the foundations.
- Seal the holes and cracks in the foundation of your home.
These are the best ways of preventing termite infestations. Hire a professional who can help you prevent termites from damaging your house. Make sure that the professional you are hiring is qualified for this job. You can use the tips mentioned in this article to make sure that your home is always free from termites.